Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Oh wait...and don't forget...

Three days till I leave. Just learned I will also be traveling throughout the Middle East during Ramadan; looking forward to the culture lesson but I am also a little scared. During this time, I am fairly sure it would be extremely offensive for me to eat or even drink water in public (I will be sweating like a white girl in the Middle East) Fasting or sawm is intended to promote self control...but probably works to keep some of the tourists out for one month a year.

For Muslims, this month is holy because it was the time in which the Qur'an was first revealed by the prophet Muhammad. Apparently the gates of hell are closed while the gates of heaven are open. I figure that can't hurt my chances of safe travel--I will take all the help I can get.

In the mean time I have been anxiously searching for a power adapter, sandals, business cards, and some sanity. I wish my laundry would do itself...and that I had a few more dollars in my bank account before I left. But being poor in a foreign country has got to be more interesting than being rich.

For now, I am doing super American things. Shopping, going to see a baseball game, and eating lots of BBQ. Woo!

No comments:

Post a Comment