Monday, May 24, 2010

A note on dry heat, plastic, and more of my days...

I was told to expect dry heat here. Liars I say! I understand the humidity is only at 50% but my body sure feels humid when it is 80 degrees at night in the DESERT. Here I am sweating like a white girl in the Middle East....and for the record Arid Clinical Protection offers very little in the way of protection. At the same time, every building and vehicle is air conditioned. Heck, our room tends to be around 68 degrees at all times---making the entire country a bizarre game of freeze out, burn out.

Speaking of our accommodations, we are staying in a very nice flat with a pool, gym, and sauna. One of my favorite things is the trashcan; the sticker on the top reads, "Cosmoplast" Clearly trying to make the connection for us that the trashcan is both cosmopolitan and plastic. Plastic it is, cosmopolitan....um...

Yesterday we went to the city center. City Center is the largest mall I have ever seen. We think of malls as this wholly American cultural phenomena, and it is interesting to see it exported and made....bigger and better...and almost....more American. The most famous guy in all of Bahrain works there. Here is a video of him at work...

After we picked up power adapters and such, we went to the Bahrain fort. It is on the North Coast of the island.



The Fort has been around since 2000 BC and with each conquering empire, a new fort was generally built on top. While there I also got to see a guy riding a donkey with another donkey following. Pretty Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment