Saturday, June 12, 2010

Looking for work in a Foreign Country

"As an American with blue eyes you can go anywhere here."

I am still trying to come to terms with that statement. I have never been confronted with a situation in which I was so blatantly privileged relative to my location. (or at least assumed privileged, which regardless, has similar lived effects) I don't want to sound like the victim here, but I am still trying to figure out how to cope.

I don't know how to combat this kind of privilege. I ask Bahrainis about it, and they usually just tell me to take advantage of it. That feels so wrong, but is so easy.
I would love a job here, but I know that I could get unfair preference....woof....

In other news, we watched the world cup game tonight at Turbo's. It was a blast, and it was followed by rock band. It is so surreal to watch three Bahrainis play rockband to Iron Maiden and Tenacious D songs....

...but so far that surreal element is what characterizes my Bahrain experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment