Thursday, November 15, 2012

Travel, two years later


There is comfort in travel. I can't exactly explain it, but there is a peace which accompanies wandering in a foreign country with no idea what the following moments will bring. The next several posts of this blog are dedicated to places outside the US, but I would have failed the spirit of this blog if I did not say a few words about Kansas City.

First, the BBQ-
Honestly, I was fairly unimpressed by most of the BBQ in Kansas City. I am a St. Louis girl, and I believe there is such thing as St. Louis BBQ and it will always and forever be my favorite. But there was one great BBQ place; one place better than anything in St. Louis--Oklahoma Joes. It is in a gas station.

On a slightly more serious note, moving to Kansas City ten months ago marked a significant change in my life. I regained a control of my life once lost and began cultivating a career again. Kansas City surrounded me with thoughtful people who challenged me constantly. It is a vibrant, diverse community with all the convenience of a large city while it maintains all the sensibilities of a small town. It is a place to be a young professional, to raise kids, to grow old and do wonderful things.

I enjoyed most every moment of living in Midtown--close to Westport. It was walking distance to the art museum, maintained a pulsing night life (that offered plenty for beer enthusiasts), and presented a diverse cross section of people. It was a beautiful city that is so easily under appreciated.




While there, I could not have known how much I would learn on a Missouri Secretary of State's race, and I owe my co-workers so much. It was a good job---surrounded by good people.

I left Kansas City in a blur of giggles, balloons, and victory. We won.

1 comment:

  1. Kansas City BBQ is great; but they don't know what a porksteak is and there's never enough sauce.

    Have fun overseas!

    ReplyDelete