Saturday, August 28, 2010

Turkey: Worst case scenario.

The travel gods had been nice to me. Too nice...I was within my budget, had accommodation arranged for all but three nights of the trip. Family cooked meals, amazing friends from around the world, great deals on souvenirs, and sick only once.

…I should have known disaster would hit.

Anyone who travels knows that worst case scenario aside from getting kidnapped and sold into the sex trade is the loss of a passport.
…and a wallet
…and your debit card
…on a bus
…that is going god knows where
…and you have no more phone credit
…and you have no idea where you are
…all you know is that you don’t speak more than three words of the language.
AWESOME

What do you do?

My answer was to walk towards the city center, until I found a travel agency (the travel gods do pity us mortals from time to time) A few calls later, Can Akdogan, (great name, huh?) the general manager of Apandana Travel Agency had located my wallet and offered the use of their transport vehicle for a reduced cost to pick it up.

At the bus station, we picked it up….with everything exactly where it was left. Amazing. That means I still have a debt to the travel gods. They will collect, but not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment