Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Swap Meet me in the Middle East

June 20th through the 24th were a blur of sorts here. With the AIESEC Gala Dinner, Aldar island party, and a bizarre trip to the Isa Town Swap Meet, I believe that this blog may be the only thing that the events of the week had in common.



Gala Dinner
Much of my internship has been going to really fancy places and doing a lot of whatever I want to do. The kick off to the AIESEC conference was about the same. The dinner was held close to the top of Financial Harbor, which is pretty swanky.
I have about a million pictures from the Gala dinner, and I am beginning to think that one of the major functions of AIESEC is to increase your "tagged photos" in facebook by about 100,000 fold. Regardless, it was a good night with good people.

AlDar Lunar Party
From there a group of us shifted gears and went to the Lunar Island Party at AlDar. The dress clothes were stripped off in favor of beach attire. Every full moon, a party is held on AlDar island. The entire island is less than a few hundred meters in any direction, but provides a nice beach to relax among friends. Most of the
other folks there are mostly expats hungry for booze and electronic beats (everything from House to Hardcore).

One of my favorite parts is the water taxi to the island. The port is lined with empty dhows (traditional fishing boats in Bahrain) as if to juxtapose a sense of traditional majesty with the silly little white boats comprised of stumbling drunks. In a lot of ways, it also feels like I am on a boat jetting down the Mississippi. At any point I should be able to look behind me and see a family member attempting to water ski with varying amounts of success. That boat ride is the only time I feel like I am home.


Isa Town Swap Meet
Arab culture is one of consumption. At any point, the major shopping malls are full of people. We were interested in seeing something a bit more homespun. Sorry Fergie but I just don't do "Dolce and Gabbana Fendi and the Donna" The Isa Town swap meet provided just that. I just...pictures are really the only I can say about that.


No comments:

Post a Comment